Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Oh if heaven was a place on earth...

Yeah sure,when people told me Kerala was God's own country,I had that "yes-I-have-heard" look quite often.But thanks to Amma's new Hyundai Santro and Guru's initiative(ok well,we forced him to come with the "guys"),we landed up,during my New Year break, in this place called Nelliyampathi (for more info do a google search you couchies!).It was,to say the least,breathtaking.

The drive down was ANYTHING but uneventful.I got to take turns riding pillion with each of the guys.We came across an elephant which was in the middle of having supper.I was told very convincingly to get into the car with the "other women" while the guys took the bike.I was very upset,whiny and gnashing my teeth.But Guru and Co got their way.I had half a feeling they did it less for our safety and more so they could escape on the bike if that thing chased us down the narrow hill road.$&*#!!!!

Meanwhile,some other stupid tourists anyway got off their cars,but left the lights on and kept honking!So,our party had to run,because ermm..we can't handle trouble as big as that because of some twits who don't know how NOT to act around wild animals.The "chivalrous" males of our company didn't even manage to get a decent video or snap of our soon-agitated friend.Bleagh!So much for not being boxed in a car and for disallowing spirited young women from exercising their natural talent for filming.Humph.

But I got back on the bike soon enough because of my sheer stupid stubbornness anyway.It was wonderful.My heartfelt thanks to the very silent but sweet and accomodating Vishwa whose bike I rode on.

Here are some snaps I took.The place is wowie!I wanted to go closer and get the valley below,but you know mothers. :-)

There are others Guru took below them.His are better,because atleast he got to hold his camera.Mine was hijacked and filled with pictures of people acting like clowns.


My snaps:The top of the Nelliampathy hills and the valley below.









Guru took the following.

A view from the Pothundi dam nearby(Funny,I thought "pothundi" was Telegu?!)


Atop the hills,the winding road leads to the summit(Yikes,waxing poetic)


Misty view from the valley.

3 comments:

Ganesh said...

wonderful pics, looks like you had great fun there.
Hopefully nextime when I visit India, I should see someplace apart from tnagar, mylapore and thiruvanmayur

Anonymous said...

Excellent photos of the silent valley in Plakkad,happened to see this during a search...great..

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! Delta automatic faucets parts peanut butter to heal acne Free nokia 3595 ringtones