Friday, September 02, 2005

Women and public space

Here is an assignment I wrote.I had written a very acerbic and unconstructive critique titled 'Why men are pigs' prior to this.But I found that thinking for a while actually helped me in putting my point across.

A few days back,I was travelling by a city bus that was splitting at its seams.Everyone knows it can be very suffocating and painful to remain standing in such a situation,while being sandwiched between the lady whose hair is laden with jasmine and the ubiquitous man who reeks of beedis. Most of us get used to it.

But what I can never get used to is the occasional male who insists on using the crowd to add to your discomfort.He stares, breathes down your neck, or pretends that his hand has no place to rest except a vulnerable part of your anatomy.Both your body and your perception of public space are altered.

Perhaps the most vexing experience I’ve had is on a cold night a few years back during a school trip in Hyderabad.Three of us were walking towards our bus, when three men started following us.Panicking,we started walking faster and then broke into a run.But then, overwhelmed by a mixture of mad rage and helplessness, I turned back and yelled at them,using the choicest profanities I knew.They stopped and faded into the nearby shops.But, my sense of security was eroded.

Women everywhere are forced to accept the violation of the little security that public places provide us, since any recourse by law is tedious.We are routinely leched at, touched inappropriately and then are trained to accept it as normal behaviour.We lobby to be given the right to work night shifts in factories,but forget that the right to safety may not accompany it.

Any attempt to walk on the roads with the simple identity of being just a human being is futile .Most of us grow up actually feeling grateful that we have not faced more than the “usual” or “acceptable” amount of harassment.We never stop to examine what this means and who defined its parameters.

What is worse is that,universities are now setting dress codes to condone popular perception of women.In public consciousness,there will then always exist a clear division between the vamp and the virgin,the woman who can be whistled at because she is 'inappropriately attired', and the woman who will be whistled at even if she is 'acceptably dressed'.

But the irony is that neither category(if you can divide women so rigidly at all) can walk on the road as just another person.The identity of being a woman will always remain. And,not as a positive one.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ganesh said...

Raags
Welcome back !!
Looking forward some quality journo writeup from you :)

Ganesh said...

"But the irony is that neither category(if you can divide women so rigidly at all) can walk on the road as just another person.The identity of being a woman will always remain. And,not as a positive one."

Sad but true.
Yes, it happens all over the world.
Ofcourse in TN eve teasing and these things have reached to new lows.

Look at our films hero teasing the herione esp if its college scenes they all have some groupies make fun of the heroine.
And not to mention this lousy concept of 'Taming of the Shrew' is done a thousand times. All these influences the roadside romeos.

Saroja said...

I know yaar.Movies are out to just compartmentalize women.I have personally given up on blogging about that.

But hey,I hope you like the pics I took in namma ooru..will keep taking more and posting.

We are even doing a website project in college.It's about Chennai and once we get design and get it online I will hopefully send the link.Ungala maadri peru thaan help pannanum.:)

Anonymous said...

hi... surprise!!! yeah ablolutly true... what can we do...if we try somethinh about this we become the borin socios !!!

BZ said...

heyyyyyyyyy RR,
Nice to see u writing again and loed your posts as usual. :)

Do keeep writing.

Saroja said...

Arjun,
I am yelling myself hoarse on how the women's liberation notion in itself is such a farce.
I am tired and disgusted with everyday experiences so much.This is a culmination of all that.
I think I'll lobby stronger for this even if I sound like a 'socio'.I have some idealism left,thankfully.:)

Saroja said...

SK,
Thanks.And I'm sure you'll like my updates on Chennai.Trying my best to do my college and life in the city justice through the blog.:)

Priyamvada_K said...

Very true.

"naan mattum iRavil thanimayil nadappen,
nadaipaadhai kadayil theyneer kudippen..."

These still remain dreams.

Priya.

Ganesh said...

raags
can you kindly mail me at tellganesh@gmail.com.

thanks

Ginkgo said...

hmm...yeah..I still get a chuckle..

I remember marking ppl out by the way they dress when I was back in India...
and then I did the same after coming here...and I applied the same logic to the ppl here and was saying tht to one of my class mate, a local. Imagine my shock when the girl towards us......

gave me a handshake, a hug and said...U must be '_ _ _'. Randy keeps talkin abt u. He has only nice things to say about ya. and kisses my friend standing next to me.

Who incidentally was the one I was talkin to, and commenting about her.

Boy...:-) Did I learn my lesson..

And to think she turned out to be one of the nicest ppl I've ever met.

Krish said...

I would think this malady is more in the north (Delhi comes to mind) rather than in the south (Chennai for example). Of course, not to say such incidents never happen here but they are by and large exceptions rather than the rule. What say?

Saroja said...

Thennavan,
Not at all.I think what varies is our reaction to guys teasing/feeling us up.
I have always felt that here in TN,especially even more so in interior TN,girls take full responsibility for guys teasing them,and they are conditioned not to react,because if they do it would imply that they are not dressed or behaving "properly".

So,teasing or any related unwanted attention that women attract is not nonexistent here or an exception.In fact the very fact that you feel so reflects on how well we have been conditioned to take it as another "normal" activity.

jeenu said...

hi
nice blog.. i can completely relate to the issue that u r talking about.. hopefully in future things will turn out for better
cheers
jeenu

Saroja said...

Jeenu,
Yes more than hoping I think we should DO something for a better future.:)

Rags said...

Very unfortunate that because of few ill-mannered men, we still have such incidents in our country.

The govt needs to get tough with such people, and make sure they would never dream of doing it again.